For some, Sagan’s Cosmos was a first magnificent glance into science. For others, discoveries came later, through his books, articles and movies. Celebrate our favorite astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, author, and science communicator with one of these special gifts.
Are you looking for something unique to gift that one special person in your life? Or perhaps you want to pamper yourself, lost in one of Sagan’s fascinating stories. Look no further, for we have gathered 10 products and gift ideas, all centered around Carl.
“We are the representatives of the cosmos; we are an example of what hydrogen atoms can do, given 15 billion years of cosmic evolution.” ― Carl Sagan
Show your devotion to Carl, patron saint of neighbors, long voyages, and calling Home. The perfect gift / present for the humanist, atheist, nihilist, agnostic, spastic, bombastic, or totally regular person in your life.
The origins of the Unemployed Philosophers Guild are shrouded in mystery. Some accounts trace the Guild’s birth to Athens in the latter half of the 4th century BCE. Allegedly, several lesser philosophers grew weary of the endless Socratic dialogue endemic in their trade and turned to crafting household implements and playthings. (Hence the assertions that Socrates quaffed his hemlock poison from a Guild-designed chalice, though vigorous debate surrounds the question of whether it was a “disappearing” chalice.) Others argue that the UPG dates from the High Middle Ages, when the Philosophers Guild entered the world of commerce by selling bawdy pamphlets to pilgrims facing long lines for the restroom. Business boomed until 1211 when Pope Innocent III condemned the publications. Not surprisingly, this led to increased sales, even as half our membership was burned at the stake. More recently, revisionist historians have pinpointed the birth of the Guild to the time it was still cool to live in New York City’s Lower East Side. Two brothers turned their inner creativity and love of paying rent towards fulfilling the people’s needs for finger puppets, warm slippers, coffee cups, and cracking up at stuff.
- Secular Saints candles are dedicated to cultural icons you can believe in.
- The front of each candle features the saint’s image. The back of the candle shows their patronage, saint’s day, and a unique prayer to inspire and enlighten.
- UPG’s Secular Saints votives are guaranteed to grant your desires (“I need romantic lighting”) and aid the powerless (“I need light until the power comes back on”).
- MEASURES – 8.5″ tall, 2″ diameter. Made of glass. It’s the perfect gift for everyone on your team… or that special person who makes you feel most at home on our pale blue dot.
- These candles are made in the USA with domestic materials.
Carl Sagan’s Cosmos – Paperback
Cosmos is one of the bestselling science books of all time. In clear-eyed prose, Sagan reveals a jewel-like blue world inhabited by a life form that is just beginning to discover its own identity and to venture into the vast ocean of space. Featuring a new Introduction by Sagan’s collaborator, Ann Druyan, full color illustrations, and a new Foreword by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, Cosmos retraces the fourteen billion years of cosmic evolution that have transformed matter into consciousness, exploring such topics as the origin of life, the human brain, Egyptian hieroglyphics, spacecraft missions, the death of the Sun, the evolution of galaxies, and the forces and individuals who helped to shape modern science.
“Magnificent . . . With a lyrical literary style, and a range that touches almost all aspects of human knowledge, Cosmos often seems too good to be true.”—The Plain Dealer
About the Author: Carl Sagan was Professor of Astronomy and Space Sciences and Director of the Laboratory for Planetary Studies at Cornell University. He played a leading role in the Mariner, Viking, and Voyager spacecraft expeditions to the planets, for which he received the NASA medals for Exceptional Scientific Achievement. Dr. Sagan received the Pulitzer Prize and the highest awards of both the National Academy of Sciences and the National Science Foundation, and many other awards, for his contributions to science, literature, education, and the preservation of the environment.
- Age Range: 8 – 12 years.
- Grade Level: 3 – 7.
- Paperback: 432 pages.
- Publisher: Ballantine Books (December 10, 2013).
- Language: English.
Sagan and Gold Record Enamel Pin Set
Wear your heart on your sleeve and inspiration on your lapel! These colorful die-cast enamel pins feature historical figures, cultural icons, and big ideas – and today it’s Sagan’s turn!
The pins are packaged in sets of two with rubber pin backs that really hold on. Each pair of enamel pins not only speaks to each other – they’re made to mix and match and mash-up in hundreds of combinations. Carl Sagan sent the Golden Record aboard Voyager. No word yet from “advanced spacefaring civilizations in interstellar space.”
- Set of two pins with strong black rubber backing.
- Made of brass with black nickel plating, and hard enamel coloring.
- Now your backpack or favorite jacket can join the cultural conversation!
- Made by “The Unemployed Philosophers Guild”.
This product is out of stock!
Ask the big cosmic questions in this wonderfully thought-provoking homage to one of our favorite great minds! This Carl Sagan high-quality cotton T-Shirt is printed with the latest technology designed to preserve the color of the graphics. TLC’s unique T-Shirts are designed and printed in the USA with eco-friendly ink.
The “What Would Carl Sagan Do?” is durable, comfortable, and fun shirt. Whether you’re buying it as a gift for someone else or wearing it yourself, any Sagan fan would be ecstatic to wear this tee.
- 100% Cotton (Ash or Oxford varies 70/30 to 95/5 cotton/poly).
- Produced with the latest printing techniques using water-soluble, eco-friendly ink.
- Cured with a heat-treatment process to ensure color-fastness through many years of washing and wear.
- Each shirt is designed and printed in the USA.
- 5.6 oz unisex adult tee, similar to Hanes, Jerzee, Gildan.
- Seamless double-needle collar, sleeves and hem; taped neck and shoulders.
- Wash Cold, Dry Low.
This product is out of stock!
This “Hail Sagan” is made from 100% ring-spun cotton jersey. The tee has a contemporary fit and is enzyme washed for an ultra-soft feel. Your t-shirt will be printed using high-performance direct-to-garment digital printing technology in – full color with durable photo quality reproduction. Your shirt will look and feel awesome!
This tee is not just very comfortable, it also looks great.
- Material: 100% Ring-spun Cotton.
- Ultra-Soft Feel and Comfortable Fit.
- Printed with Direct-To-Garment Technology.
- Origin: Made in the USA.
Carl Sagan, the astronomer, educator, and skeptic who championed the search for extraterrestrial life. This finger puppet can help you explain the latest scientific ideas about astronomy and rocket science, or – since it’s also a magnet – it can hang out on your locker as you solve the problems of nuclear winter and global warming. Either way, you’ll have our undivided attention.
Thanks to him, we’re all more aware of our own effect on our planet’s ecology and we’re more at home in the universe. And just like The Unemployed Philosophers Guild, Carl Sagan was a Brooklyn boy!
- Double use: On your finger, it’s a puppet, on your fridge, it’s a magnet.
- Measures approximately 4″ tall.
- Comes with a removable tag with a portrait, quotes, and achievements.
- The product is created by “The Unemployed Philosophers Guild“.
This product is out of stock!
This one-of-a-kind mug features two of our Geek Gift superstars: Carl Sagan and Neil Degreasse Tyson. It’s made from high-quality materials, and printed with top inks that will not fade, no matter how many times you wash it. The mug is packed and shipped from the USA, it’s microwave and dishwasher safe and it arrives in a protective styrofoam package. A perfect gift idea for science lovers!
- High quality mug makes the perfect gift for everyone!
- Printed on only the highest quality mugs.
- Dishwasher and Microwave safe.
- Packaged, and shipped from the USA.
- Shipped in a custom made styrofoam package to ensure it arrives in perfect condition.
When Nasa sent Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 out into interstellar space, they sent along with it a golden record with multiple images and sounds of earth. This image is the printing on one side of the record that includes instructions on how to play the record as well as a map of our relative location in relation to nearby pulsars. Designed by Carl Sagan, it is our message to any interstellar extraterrestrial intelligences that, once upon a time, we existed.
- Dimensions: 9.25″l x 7.75″w
- High quality, full-color printing
- Durable and dust and stain resistant cloth cover
- Non-slip backing
In Cosmos, the late astronomer Carl Sagan cast his gaze over the magnificent mystery of the Universe and made it accessible to millions of people around the world. Now in this stunning sequel, Carl Sagan completes his revolutionary journey through space and time.
Future generations will look back on our epoch as the time when the human race finally broke into a radically new frontier–space. In Pale Blue Dot Sagan traces the spellbinding history of our launch into the cosmos and assesses the future that looms before us as we move out into our own solar system and on to distant galaxies beyond. The exploration and eventual settlement of other worlds is neither a fantasy nor luxury, insists Sagan, but rather a necessary condition for the survival of the human race.
- Paperback: 384 pages
- Publisher: Ballantine Books – Reprint edition
- Published Date: September 8, 1997
- Language: English
Science rocks! These printed socks feature some of the most famous and greatest scientists like Marie Curie, Leonardo da Vinci, Charles Darwin, Carl Sagan, Ivan Pavlov, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Bill Nye the Science Guy. Good Luck Sock offers a huge variety of popular, fun, and modern designs. Reinforced heel & toe for better durability and just the right amount of stretch for all-day comfort.
- Materials: 56% Polyester, 37% Cotton, 5% Elastic, 2% Spandex
- Reinforced Heel & Toe
- Machine Wash
- Fits shoe size 7-12
- Stretches low to mid-calf