My brother is a geologist, so I have had to wonder what the best gifts for geologists are on a regular basis (of course, he does more with his life than analyze sediments, but he’s always talking about them ;)). Many times, I have resorted to the internet to ask “What are good gifts for geologists?”/ And the results were not particularly helpful, The discipline, without being a niche (at least in terms of products created for geologists), is not particularly explored.
As a result, I decided to create this mini-guide to help you find cool gifts for geologists. There are many things you can give them for a special day – some of which you might be a little lost about, like I was. A geological compass? How is that different from a regular one (and who uses them anymore!?). A loop magnifier… or even better, a handheld digital microscope? That one, I promise, will change both your lives.
Now, what makes a gift for a geologist good? In a lot of cases, the best products are related to working in the field. For example, an indestructible waterproof (and tearproof) notebook so the geologist in your life can happily take notes in the middle of a storm (actually, these are so useful I ended up getting some. For… teary poetry). Of course, apparel that celebrates geology is a good gift for geologists too. Curiously, there seems to be an impressive number of T-Shirts with geology puns. Like schist happens (metamorphically speaking). And there are also numerous mugs your geologist friend can take to the office – because they don’t spend endless time in the field, they also do so in front of a microscope or cutting stones. And these are all activities better enjoyed with a coffee or tea. Lastly, I have included some gifts for new geologists and geology students – such as a waterproof geotechnical gauge that can neatly fit in a backpack and a mineral identification kit that includes some very pretty samples.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy my list of gifts for geologists. My brother approved it! And I, as a science enthusiast, have already acquired a few of these because they are pretty awesome.
Best Gifts for Geologists:
This compact and absolutely indestructible field notebook is perfectly sized for convenience and functionality and is the ideal gift for geologists and anyone working in the field.
- Built to last: Waterproof, tearproof, and weatherproof.
- 4-pack consists of 192 pages in total – each book contains 48 pages or 24 sheets.
- Pages made of synthetic paper: It will not tear and you can write in the rain or even under water.
- Pocket-sized: This mini memo pad is 3.5×5.5 inches and contains a lined pattern.
- No special pens are required; you can use regular ballpoint pens or pencils.
A schist is a coarse-grained metamorphic rock that consists of layers of different minerals and can be split into thin irregular plates. Gnarly Tees has been designing and selling customized T-Shirts and Apparel since 2013.
- Material: Made with 100% Cotton.
- Designed and made by Gnarly Tees.
- Machine wash cold with like colors, dry low heat.
- Lightweight, Double-needle sleeve, Classic fit, and bottom hem.
The Dino-Lite digital microscope and camera includes microTouch, measurements, polarization, interchangeable caps, multiple image (and focus level) combination, and includes software. The microscope also has a resolution of 30 FPS for video (Looking for more microscopes or telescopes? We have them here!).
- Magnification Range: 10x-50x, 220x
- Resolution: 640 x 480, 1280 x 1024, 2592 x 1944
- Frame Rate (max): 30 FPS
- Warranty: 2 years
- Manufactured in: Taiwan
The Story of Earth: The First 4.5 Billion Years is a book about our planet. Earth evolves. From first atom to molecule, mineral to magma, granite crust to single cell to verdant living landscape, ours is a planet constantly in flux.
- Hardcover: 320 pages.
- Publisher: Viking; First edition (April 26, 2012).
- Language: English.
- Product Dimensions: 6.4 x 1 x 9.2 inches.
This Harbin Geological Compass is a great gift for young, aspiring geoscientists. This is an excellent quality geological compass with a functional declination adjustment screw, lift pin, and clinometer.
- The pack includes a geological compass, a holster, and an English manual.
- Damping time of needle: 15s. Dial scale: 1°.
- Precision of long air level: 15´± 5´/2mm(20℃).
- Precision of circle air level: 30´± 5´/2mm(20℃).
This mineral identification kit provides a hands-on experience performing tests to identify minerals. The sorting cards use the process of elimination to assist with identification, and the included streak plate, iron nail, magnifier, and magnet allow to check for hardness, luster, streak, and color.
- Mineral collection contains 20 samples.
- Includes a magnifier, streak plate, magnet, iron nail, index (sort) cards, sorting needle, and a lab manual.
- Sorting (index) cards use a process of elimination to assist in identification.
- Samples are packaged in a plastic tray.
Check out some gneiss schists and go over some faults with your colleges with this funny geology pun for every mineral & crystal lover out there who knows geology rocks. That science pun was a real gem, wasn’t it?
- Mug Capacity: 11 Ounces.
- Printed in the USA.
- An original LookHuman product.
- An ideal gift for mineral & crystal lovers!
This is a full metal illuminated jewelry loop with a 30X magnifier and bright LED. You can see objects clearly in dark or insufficient light conditions with this dual LED light source. The magnifier is pocket size, very convenient to carry and you can use it anywhere.
- Product Size: Approx. 8cm x 2.2cm.
- Voltage 1.5V Lens. Diameter: 21mm.
- Push switch to Turn ON OFF ON.
- Illumination: LED Light & with currency detection function UV light.
- Requires 3 LR927 batteries (Batteries are Included).
The flexible, compact and waterproof 5 x 7″ plastic geotechnical gauge has a nylon lanyard and contains miscellaneous data for geotechnical soil analysis. The gauge is printed on both sides and contains a variety of extremely useful data for geologists.
- A compact waterproof gauge that fits in larger pant pockets or neatly into a backpack.
- Nylon lanyard to attach to notebook or clipboard.
- Has inches (up to 6″) and millimeter (up to 110mm) ruler on one side.
- Sand grains and color chips are permanently fused to the plastic.
This one-of-a-kind “Don’t Take Me For Granite” 11-ounce coffee mug features large handles for easy gripping and a wrap-around print. The heavy-duty geology-inspired ceramic mug is both dishwasher and microwave safe.
- Mug material: Ceramic.
- Dishwasher and microwave safe.
- Package Dimensions 4.8 x 4.4 x 4.3 inches.
- Printed in the USA.