Webcomics can be compared to self-published print comics in that almost anyone can create their own and publish them. Thanks to the internet, we can access people’s work in an easy, straightforward way. And while some artists prefer to publish only online, others have chosen to also step into print.
Because webcomics provide much more creative freedom, artists can experiment with nontraditional styles. There are comics that look simply drawn, but where ideas are the true protagonist (Dinosaur Comics, for example, always uses the same graphics, and they are still one of the most awesome comics out there). There are also webcomics that look like collages, that use photographs, typewriting strips, and such to create original styles.
Some of these webcomics would be quite difficult to reproduce on paper, but that’s also part of the charm. A webcomic artist has an infinite canvas to work with, where dimensions don’t matter and animations or interactive elements can be used freely.
Fortunately for those who still enjoy holding real paper in their hands, though, lots of webcomics follow a more traditional or newspaper-y layout. We have made a selection of the best webcomics that got turned into books and that you can buy straight from Amazon. You can also find links to the author’s website and their online comics :)
Best Web Comic Books:
Hyperbole and a Half
- Based on the insanely great web comic
- Author: Allie Brosh
5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth
- 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth
- Nuff said!
Cyanide and Happiness
- First-ever collection of the #1 comic on the Web
- Includes 30 new comics
- Fan-favorite characters
Comic xkcd: volume 0
- A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.
- Author: Randall Munroe
- The first book from the popular webcomic
Science: Ruining Everything Since 1543 – A Collection of Science-Themed Comics
- A Collection of Science-Themed Comics
- Author: Zach Weinersmith
- A compendium of the finest science-related strips from SMBC
Busty Girl Comics: The first 100 comics
- The first 100 comics from Busty Girl Comics
- Author: Paige Halsey Warren
Simon’s Cat vs. the World
- Simon’s cat first book
- Hilarious, loving observations of a privileged and bossy housecat
- From the same Youtube star
The Little World of Liz Climo
- Peek into Liz Climo’s world
- Funny and heartwarming comics
- Inspect everyday life with wit and humor
Nimona Web Comic
- Based on the web comic
- Sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson
- Includes bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages
Dinosaur Comics: Dudes Already Know About Chickens
Finally, a Dinosaur Comics book, unabridged and in full color, AND with all three secret texts for each comic included! And it’s so pretty, you